With this scholarship in pharmacy awarded by the DAAD Foundation (trustee: DAAD e.V.) the family of Professor Kassem is offering postgraduates (holding a Master’s degree or higher) from Egypt the opportunity to conduct research and further their training in Germany. The scholarship is also intended to aid networking among colleagues in the discipline.
One scholarship will be awarded annually.
Eligible to apply are excellently qualified postgraduates, doctoral candidates and young academics conducting research in fields relevant to the pharmaceuticals industry in Egypt; applicants must have graduated with a Master’s or Diplom degree by the time they take up their scholarship, and may not be currently studying or employed at an institution in Germany. Students on Master’s programmes and scientists working at R&D facilities of pharmaceutical companies based in Egypt are also eligible to apply.
Funding will be provided for a research or further training project at a state- or state-approved German higher education institution, non-university research institute or pharmaceutical industrial company. The project must be carried out in coordination with an academic supervisor in Germany.
The scholarship is awarded for a period of up to three months. The funding period is determined by a selection committee depending on the project and the work schedule.
The scholarship period cannot be extended.
- Monthly grant – depending on level of training – of €850 for graduates and €1,200 for doctoral candidates and doctorate holders
- Grants for health, accident and personal liability insurance
- Subsidy to help cover travel expenses, if these are not paid by the home country or a third party
Applications will be assessed by an independent selection committee comprised of experts in the discipline.
The key selection criteria are as follows:
- A compelling and well-planned, detailed research or further training project
- Description of the section of the research to be undertaken in Germany, including milestone planning
- Description of the project’s relevance to the pharmaceutical industry in Egypt
- Applicant’s academic achievements: Additional documents that prove academic suitability or provide information about extracurricular activities will also be considered in the assessment.
Applicants should have taken their final examination no more than six years before the application deadline. Doctorate holders should have completed their doctorate no more than four years ago. Doctoral candidates should have begun their doctorate no more than three years ago. Applicants who will have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months by the application deadline cannot be considered.
Applicants may not apply to DAAD e.V. programmes (Research Grant Short-Term, Research Grant Doctoral Programme GERLS and GERSS from the DAAD e.V.) in the same year.
Certificate of proficiency in English
Certificate of proficiency in German (if applicable)
Applicants are also required to send one original copy of a current letter of recommendation (signed by hand) that provides information on their qualifications, as well as a printout of the “Application Summary” (PDF file) generated by the DAAD portal after completing the online application, to the application address (see below) by post.
Please note that the link to the DAAD portal will only be available for the duration of the current application period. Once applications close the portal will not be available for this programme
Degree certificates, proof of academic achievement, other certificates and translations may be submitted in uncertified form; please scan and upload these to the DAAD portal.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full CV (up to three pages)
- List of publications (up to 10 pages), if applicable
- Comprehensive and precise description of the project agreed with the academic supervisor (at an academic institution or a pharmaceutical industrial company) (proposal)
- Outline of previous research work (up to 10 pages)
- Schedule for intended research work
- Letter confirming academic supervision from the academic host in Germany, giving your research project’s title, dates, duration and intended results (no older than six months)
- Agreement with the host/supervisor regarding intellectual property
- Assurance from the host/supervisor that a workplace will be provided
- Degree certificate giving final grade(s)
If you will not be graduating until after the application deadline you must submit your degree certificate before you take up the scholarship
- Other documents supporting your application
(e.g. certificates of employment, proof of internships etc.)
- All university certificates pertaining to all annual exams, with individual grade(s), including an explanation of the grading system
- Translations into German or English of documents submitted in Arabic or other languages
- Copy of school-leaving certificate qualifying you to attend university in your home country (with all individual grades)
- Certificate of admission to a doctoral programme at your home university, if you intend to complete or are currently completing a doctorate there
- Certificate of proficiency in English, issued no more than two years ago (TOEFL iBT with a score of at least 79, IELTS with a score of at least 6.5)
Certificate of proficiency in German (if applicable)
To be submitted by post:
A current letter of recommendation from a university lecturer providing information on your qualifications (signed by hand, no digital or scanned signatures). Please see the information on the tab “Submitting your application” in the DAAD portal.
Your application is only valid if you submit all required documents via the DAAD portal in a timely fashion.
The date of the postmark serves as proof of timely submission of letters of recommendation by post.
(If you are requested to submit further documents by post, please send these as quickly as possible.)
The DAAD portal closes at 24:00 Central European Time (CET) on the final day of the application period.
Incomplete applications cannot be considered. The applicant is responsible for completeness.
The application dossier will remain in the possession of the DAAD Foundation and its trustee. Applicant data will be stored by the DAAD Foundation and the trustee in accordance with the German Data Protection Act and the EU General Data Protection Regulation to the extent necessary to process the application.
EXTENDED TO 06.12.2019
Online Application Link
For further information regarding the application, kindly check the
c/o DAAD Cairo Office
11 El Saleh Ayoub St.
Zamalek, Cairo, Egypt
Ms. Dina Essam
Tel. +20 2-2735-2726
Fax +20 2-2738-4136
Reachable from Sunday to Thursdays starting 10:00 to 12:00 pm