The DAAD's extensive scholarship database for foreign students, graduates and academics offers applicants a wide range of tips and information to help them successfully apply for a scholarship for a course of study, a research assignment or a teaching assignment in Germany.
German Egyptian Research Long-Term Scholarship Program (GERLS) • DAAD
As an outcome of success achieved during the German-Egyptian Year of Science & Technology 2007, a cooperation agreement has been made between the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research of the Arab Republic of Egypt “MHESR” and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Funds made available by the German Federal Foreign Office and the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education have been allocated to create a programme offering postgraduate scholarships for Egyptian doctoral candidates.
Who can apply?
What can be funded?
Duration of the funding
General information sheet
Types of scholarships:
- Full PhD. Scholarship:
Target: in all fields of academic studies except the following disciplines: fine & applied arts and music
Degree: Ph.D. will be awarded by a German university
Duration: up to 48 months maximum and not extendable
- “Channel” Scholarship:
Target: in all fields of study except the following disciplines: fine and applied arts and music
Degree: Ph.D. will be awarded by an Egyptian university
Duration: up to 24 months maximum and not extendable
For more information about channel regulations, please check the following link: Channel -guide for Applicants
- Monthly basic scholarship of 1,000 Euros for Ph.D. candidates, plus individual surcharges and standard annual allowances
(Please note: Current stipend rate, subject to increase upon approval by MHESR)
- Health, accident and personal liability insurance
- German language course, preparatory modules and intercultural training in Egypt
- Please note: No family allowances will be granted.
Preparation Courses in Egypt:
- Each scholarship holder is entitled to receive German language and intercultural training in Egypt before the candidates’ travel to Germany. Distribution among language centers will be defined by the DAAD Cairo office.
- After the elapse of language course a unified final exam will be conducted at Goethe Institute Cairo/ Alexandria.
- The test fees of the language course participants are covered once by the DAAD. Any additional test trials will be covered by the scholar.
- A per diem will be provided to the scholarship holders according to the distance between the scholars’ home University/Institute and language course center.
- Failing the language course will hace consequences that will be borne by the scholarship holder.
- Excellent study achievements.
- Good command of languages: Very good command of the English language is required, while German language command is a plus.
- Scientific merits, including:
- Quality of the proposal
- The benefit to Egypt
- Preparation and feasibility of the project
- Quality of the acceptance letter