The Prof Dr Mahfouz Kassem scholarship is a programme awarded by the DAAD-Stiftung in order to finance short-term scholarships for young Egyptian pharmacists in Germany.
With this scholarship in pharmacy awarded by the DAAD Foundation (trustee: DAAD e.V.) the family of Professor Kassem is offering postgraduates (holding a Master’s degree or higher) from Egypt the opportunity to conduct research and further their training in Germany. The scholarship is also intended to aid networking among colleagues in the discipline. One scholarship will be awarded annually.
Call for Applications
The Call for Applications for the year 2021 is out! Interested pharmacists can submit their applications from 15th of August 2021 until the 30th of September 2021.
Eligible to apply are excellently qualified postgraduates, doctoral candidates and young academics conducting research in fields relevant to the pharmaceuticals industry in Egypt; applicants must have graduated with a Master’s or Diplom degree by the time they take up their scholarship, and may not be currently studying or employed at an institution in Germany. A further requirement is that the result of the research project is useful in the broadest sense for the pharmaceutical industry in Egypt. Applicants can be a maximum of 31 years old at the time of application.
Type of funding
Funding will be provided for a research or further training project. In the country of origin and/or the destination country, must be a state or state-recognized university (on the Egyptian side also a private university) or extra-university research institution at which the research is carried out. The project must be carried out in coordination with an academic supervisor in Germany.
Duration of funding
The scholarship is awarded for a minimum period of two and a maximum period of three months. The exact funding period is determined by a selection committee depending on the project and the work schedule.
The scholarship cannot be extended. Please ensure in advance that the duration is consistent with the statutes and processes at your university.
Monthly grant of €1,200 for doctoral candidates and doctorate holders
- Grants for health, accident and personal liability insurance
- Subsidy to help cover travel expenses, if these are not paid by the home country or a third party
Applications will be assessed by an independent selection committee comprised of experts in the discipline.
The key selection criteria are as follows:
- A compelling and well-planned, detailed research or further training project
- Description of the section of the research to be undertaken in Germany, including milestone planning
- Description of the project’s relevance to the pharmaceutical industry in Egypt
- Applicant’s academic achievements
Additional documents that prove academic suitability or provide information about extracurricular activities will also be considered in the assessment.
Applicants should have taken their final examination no more than six years before the application deadline. Doctorate holders should have completed their doctorate no more than four years ago. Doctoral candidates should have begun their doctorate no more than three years ago. Applicants who will have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months by the application deadline cannot be considered.
Applicants may not apply to DAAD e.V. (Research Grant Short-Term and Research Grant Doctoral Programme) in the same year.
- Certificate of proficiency in English
- Certificate of proficiency in German (if applicable)
Applications must be submitted online via the DAAD portal using this link.
Please note that the link to the DAAD portal will only be available for the duration of the current application period. Once applications close the portal will not be available for this programme.
Applicants are also required to send one original copy of a current letter of recommendation (signed by hand) that provides information on their qualifications to the following application address by post:
c/o DAAD Cairo Office
11 El Saleh Ayoub St.
Zamalek, Cairo, Egypt
Ms. Heba Ahmed
Tel. +20 2-2735-2726, ext. 152
Fax +20 2-2738-4136
Degree certificates, proof of academic achievement, other certificates and translations may be submitted in uncertified form; please scan and upload these to the DAAD portal.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full CV (up to three pages)
- List of publications (up to 10 pages), if applicable
- Comprehensive and precise description of the project agreed with the academic supervisor (at an academic institution or a pharmaceutical industrial company) (proposal)
- Outline of previous research work (up to 10 pages)
- Schedule for intended research work
- Letter confirming academic supervision from the academic host in Germany, giving your research project’s title, dates, duration and intended results (no older than six months)
- Agreement with the host/supervisor regarding intellectual property
- Assurance from the host/supervisor that a workplace will be provided
- Degree certificate giving final grade(s)
If you will not be graduating until after the application deadline you must submit your degree certificate before you take up the scholarship
- Other documents supporting your application
(e.g. certificates of employment, proof of internships etc.)
- All university certificates pertaining to all annual exams, with individual grade(s), including an explanation of the grading system
- Translations into German or English of documents submitted in Arabic or other languages
- Copy of school-leaving certificate qualifying you to attend university in your home country (with all individual grades)
- Certificate of admission to a doctoral programme at your home university, if you intend to complete or are currently completing a doctorate there
- Certificate of proficiency in English, issued no more than two years ago (TOEFL iBT with a score of at least 79, IELTS with a score of at least 6.5)
- Certificate of proficiency in German (if applicable)
To be submitted by post:
A current letter of recommendation from a university lecturer providing information on your qualifications (signed by hand, no digital or scanned signatures). Please see the information on the tab “Submitting your application” in the DAAD portal.
Further information for applicants
Your application is only valid if you submit all required documents via the DAAD portal in a timely fashion. The date of the postmark serves as proof of timely submission of letters of recommendation by post. (If you are requested to submit further documents by post, please send these as quickly as possible)
The DAAD portal closes at 24:00 Central European Time (CET) on the final day of the application period.
Incomplete applications cannot be considered. The applicant is responsible for completeness.
The application dossier will remain in the possession of the DAAD-Stiftung and its trustee. Applicant data will be stored by the DAAD-Stiftung and the trustee in accordance with the German Data Protection Act and the EU General Data Protection Regulation to the extent necessary to process the application.
For more information, please visit: